There are several types of hair extensions on the market and one of our favorites is Clip-in hair extensions. If you’ve been eyeing this look but don’t have a lot of time or money to pay someone to install them for you, we are giving you the ultimate step-by-step on how to install clip-in hair extensions on your own.
Benefits of Clip-in Hair Extensions
First, let’s break down a few reasons why this particular style is so popular.
- Easy to apply and remove: Clip-in hair extensions are easy to apply and remove, making them a convenient option for people who want to change their hairstyle frequently or are not ready to commit to permanent extensions.
- No damage to natural hair: Because clip-in extensions are not permanently attached to your hair, they do not damage your natural hair like other types of extensions like glue-in extensions.
- Cost-effective: Clip-ins are generally more affordable than other types of extensions, making them a budget-friendly option for people who want to add length or volume to their hair.
- Versatility: Clip-in extensions are also versatile, allowing you to change your hairstyle as often as you like. You can add length, volume, or color to your hair without committing to a permanent change. Our favorite perk! Our clip-ins come in a variety of browns, blondes and black colors.
- Easy to maintain: Clip-in extensions are easy to maintain; they can be washed and styled like your natural hair. You can even remove them before washing your hair, which makes it easy to keep them clean and in good condition.
Step-by-Step Guide to Installing Clip-In Extensions
Step 1: Brush your hair and extensions thoroughly to remove any tangles or knots.
While your clip-ins might look great directly out of the package, it is important to comb through any new set of extensions before you install them. You can also choose to shampoo or condition your extensions prior to installing depending on the texture.
Step 2: Divide your hair into sections,
While divining, start at the back of your head. (this is easiest to build on each section) You can use clips or hair ties to keep each section separate.
Step 3: Open the clip on the extension by pressing the lever or button on the top.
Each set of clips comes with a super easy comb that snaps open and close once you press the lever button.
Step 4: Put clip into parted section of hair
Take a small section of hair from the section you are working on, and place it in between the two prongs of the clip.
Step 5: Release the lever or button to close the clip and secure the extension to your hair.
Once the button is closed check to make sure it is secure. A little tug (not too hard) is a good check to see if it clipped in correctly. The clip should not come out with a slight pull. Also, once the clip is closed be sure the hair is not entangled with another section of hair which can cause damage.
Step 6: Repeat steps 3-5 for each section of hair
Working your way up the head, starting at the bottom section, repeat these steps. It is important to note the different lengths of the clips. Some clips may be longer than others. Longer clips are usually saved for the widest part of your head. Shorter clips can be installed in the back, nape area of your head and on the side where a part would normally be for your desired style.
Step 7: Brush & Blend
Once all extensions are in place, brush your hair again to blend the extensions with your natural hair and style your hair as desired. For curly clip ins, you might need to do additional manipulation to your natural hair to blendy effectively. Twists, curling irons, or flexi rods usually are the best to help blend this texture.
Additional Installation Tips:
When choosing the extensions, match the color as close as possible to your natural hair color for a seamless blend. It’s also ok to start with a few extensions and add more as you get comfortable with the process. A few clips can go a long way with adding volume and can often look more natural.
However, be sure to use clips that are designed well and are of good quality. To keep your hair extensions in good condition, use a gentle shampoo and conditioner and detangle them carefully depending on the texture.
How to clip in hair extensions short hair
Using clip-ins in short hair can be a bit trickier, but it is still possible to achieve a natural-looking result. Overall, you want to follow the same steps above but you can use smaller clips to avoid adding too much bulk to your hair.
How long do clip-in hair extensions stay in and last?
Clip-in hair extensions can be worn for as long as you like, but it is generally recommended to remove them before going to bed to prevent tangling and matting. It is also recommended to remove them if you're going to participate in any activities that may cause the clips to come undone, such as swimming or exercising.
The longevity of your clip-in hair extensions will depend on how well you take care of them. Proper care, such as regular shampooing and conditioning, can help extend the life of any extensions. If they are not well taken care of or if they are used too frequently, they may need to be replaced sooner.
On average, clip-in hair extensions can last up to 6-12 months with proper care. However, it is important to note that the lifespan of hair extensions can vary depending on the quality of the extensions, how often you use them, and how well you take care of them.
Learn more about how long hair extensions last.
Are Clip-in Extensions Damaging to Hair?
Clip-in hair extensions are generally considered to be less damaging than other types of extensions, such as sew-in or glue-in extensions. This is because they are not permanently attached to your hair and can be easily removed without causing damage to your natural hair.
However, there are some things to keep in mind to minimize damage when using clip-in hair extensions.
- Use high-quality extensions: Cheap or low-quality extensions can cause damage to your natural hair and scalp.
- Look for extensions made from 100% human hair, like ours, as they are less likely to cause damage. All Sleek by Hailey hair extensions are guaranteed to be 100% human hair - Raw or Remy. Our extensions are cuticle aligned and come from a single source donor to ensure that the hair is super soft and silky from the roots all the way to the ends.
- Be gentle when applying and removing the extensions: Be gentle when attaching and removing the clips, as pulling or tugging on your hair can cause damage.
- Avoid overuse: Limit the amount of time you wear the extensions, as wearing them for extended periods can cause stress on your natural hair.
- Be careful with styling: Avoid over-using heat-styling tools and over doing chemical treatments on extensions, as they can damage both the extensions and your natural hair.
It's also important to note that if you have any concerns about the damage caused by the extensions or if you experience any discomfort, it's best to seek advice from a professional hair stylist or a hair care specialist.